Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Say Cheese!--Day 62

I had a very fun British Politics class today. We got to watch The Queen starring Helen Mirren instead of listen to a lecture, so that was pretty awesome. I think the film is very well made, and I also think I enjoy it more having been in London for more than nine weeks than I would had I not come on this trip. In addition, I finally found out my grade on my paper for that class (I don't think I need to tell you; suffice it to say that I was very pleased). Then, our professor casually told about another very exciting connection he has. He knows a woman named Natasha, who is a professor at an American university in London. One afternoon, Natasha was invited to a party at Buckingham Palace for international educators, and she got to meet the Queen! This is another one of those Six Degrees of Separation things. I am just three degrees separated from the Queen of England! That makes me only four degrees separated by a whole host of other people and just five degrees separated from Queen Victoria! I am bowled over by the magnitude of that thought. I'm not really one to fawn over royal people, but I really admire Queen Victoria, so I think that the connection is way cool.

After class, we had our big group photo, which actually went a lot more smoothly than I thought it would go, considering there are almost 50 of us. And, you'll be happy to know, I was right in the front kneeling down next to and in front of my friends. I tend to end up in the back of photographs, much to my mother's chagrin. I hope I did ya proud this time, Mom! After the photo shoot, I decided that instead of going to Westminster Abbey, I would go back home and work on my assignments. I have three finals to study for and work on, so I think it's best if I just focus on that for now. That way, I'll feel better later when they are done (and I can still go to Westminster another day). However, I do have another picture to share with you to (kind of) make up for my not-very-exciting (but thankfully productive) afternoon and evening. 
It's Haley and I enjoying the soccer game at Fulham. I think more pictures have been taken of me during this nine week stretch than during any equivalent period of my life before...
Well, tomorrow is my big history exam. I hope that I know my stuff and that I can express myself adequately and correctly on the essay portions. Wish me luck! After tomorrow, I will have just two classes to work on, so it will feel really good to walk out of that classroom knowing that I put a good amount of effort into the test.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on your test tomorrow; I'm certain you will do great. I know you did great on your paper.

    Love you,
    Grandma "C"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You girls look great!
    Best of luck on your test, I know you will do a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete