Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Bittersweet Thought--Day 41

I apologize that this post was a little later than normal, but I wanted to wait until I registered for my winter classes before I finished it. Back home, it wouldn't be a big deal because my registration time was 6 PM, but if you remember that London is six hours ahead of Rock Island, that made my real registration time 12 AM. Yeah, not exactly my idea of fun. However, other people had it much worse (they had to register at 2 AM, for example), and I don't have to get up for class very early on Wednesdays. I ended up registering for Physics, Botany, Aerobic Dance, and Molecular Genetics. I am really excited for the Molecular Genetics class because we will be doing some genetic engineering and gene analysis on Meiothermus Ruber, a red bacteria that lives in geysers. My professor is currently working on a project to sequence its entire genome, and through the class, we will help her complete the project. Best of all, this class counts as my Senior Inquiry requirement! I was really stressing out a bit about what I would do for my project, but now it seems as if I have my purpose! I am excited to do research and contribute to such an interesting and important project. My friend Sarah is excited because she thinks that I will go on to discover how to make humans grow tails. I don't think I'll do anything that earth-shaking, but it was a nice compliment anyway. I've really enjoyed doing aerobics at Augustana as kind of a leisure activity, so I'm sure it will be just as fun as class, and I'm glad to finally be getting my second physical education requirement out of the way. Botany should be a great class because I really like plants and because one of my good friends from Augustana is also probably going to be in the class. I've heard the professor isn't the best, but with a friend like her, I think the class will go well. I'm not too keen on physics, but maybe it will be better when taught at the college level than it was in high school. It's only a 100-level class, though, so it should be pretty manageable. And hey, anything's easier than Organic Chemistry. I am also trying to be a Chemistry Proctor again this year, and I'll probably do it for both General Chemistry and Orgo because I need the money and because Orgo always has a shortage of proctors (we basically offer help with experiments, restock chemicals or carry out other procedures deemed too dangerous for untrained students, and supervise students to make sure they are following safety protocol). Wish me luck with getting those jobs.

My item did not win in Art History class today, but that was okay. I enjoyed seeing what everyone else chose. The winner received an Augie t-shirt with our new logo on it! I was kind of jealous. It made me miss Augustana a little bit, but I'm already spending a lot of time with Augustana students, and I know that I will be back on campus in just a little over a month (after spending a couple of quality days at home, which I am even more excited for). Which brings me to the whole "bittersweet thought" thing. I am so glad that I still have four weeks in London, although I know that it will pass quickly. I have been having the time of my life here (if you haven't been able to see that in my posts), and I would not have changed any of this for the world. It will be kind of hard to leave. However, I will also be extremely happy to come home again and resume my American life.

I also got to talk to my parents again on Skype this evening. We had to skip a week because of Scotland, so it had been a pretty long time since we talked. I also got to talk to my brother David! It's been an even longer time since I've seen him. I guess my marigolds at home are doing wonderfully. It's a pity I can't be there to really appreciate the fruits of my labor (they were kind of my babies). It was a great conversation but, as always, too short.

Finally, I would like to make a shout out to my grandparents in Minnesota, who have been married for 55 years! Happy anniversary, Grandma and Grandpa! I love you both very much, and I am so glad that you are enjoying the blog so much. :)

Tomorrow I will sign up for my last few activities, which I will tell you about once I get them all locked in. Good night and thanks for all your patience with this overdue post.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you got the classes all settled and do hope you get the jobs, also; you probably will.
    What a late night it made for you, though.

    Love you,
    Grandma "C"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will join you in the shout out to your grandparents--yay!
    4 weeks will go fast...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete