Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Glass Is Half Full--Day 35

Wow! I can't believe this term is already half over. It seems like we just got here, and we've seen so much (and we have so much LEFT to see). I'm starting to narrow down the few things I still need/want to do while I am here (mostly museums): Kensington Gardens, the Science Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Garden Museum, the National Gallery, and Bath (I'd like to see Cambridge and York, but I think my friends are pretty busy, and Bath is one thing we can all agree on).

I'm busy working on a couple of papers, one for British politics on the arguments for and against the monarchy and one for history about the causes of the Great Fire and the effectiveness of efforts to stop it. I'm getting pretty busy with schoolwork now. I know that I'll have another two papers to complete before the term is up (for British Art History as our take-home final and for my seminar--the one about gardens that I already told you about). I actually really like writing papers because there is a certain method and set of "rules" to follow which make it very logical and organized. And it helps that I have a couple of interesting subjects to write about because I usually find myself overflowing with ideas and eager to get them down on paper (well, on computer screen, since that has become the latest version of "writing a paper"). I remember the good old days of writing out what I wanted to say and then copying it to a computer later, but I'm sure a lot of you remember even older days when computers weren't even in the equation. I like the immediacy of the computer--how you can type your words, delete them if necessary, and generally organize your thoughts without a lot of physical effort (i.e., hand cramping). Well, I've managed to go off on a pretty good tangent, haven't I? But my friends have finally started to post their Scotland pictures, so I thought I would share a few more memories with you.

A candid shot from Charlie's Cafe in Kendal.
Taking pictures of ducks on Loch Lomond. Amanda is laughing at me because I was trying to get a picture of a fairly ordinary-looking duck.
A photo of me and all of my friends ("the family") at the fountain in Glasgow: Amanda is in the white in back, Haley is next to her in blue, then from left to right in the front row is Elizabeth, Sarah, me, Lauren, and Kayla.
So, we stopped at an international bazaar and tried on masquerade masks. We are a silly bunch...







So, I hope you enjoyed these last few Scotland pictures. Tomorrow Lauren, Elizabeth, Amanda, and I are going to the Victoria and Albert Museum near Hyde Park to look at the decorative arts so we can train our eye for the Portobello Market in Notting Hill on Saturday. I am very excited because Notting Hill is on my list of places to visit, and my cousin's fiance told me I should check out the food at the market while I am here. Plus, I get to do some cyber-shopping for antiques. I have a feeling my mom will be jealous. Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. What fun pictures; especially the one with the mask (silly is essential to living a good life)!

    Sounds like you have a busy schedule between papers, classes, and visiting the "must see" places. I think it's great you will be going to Bath since we all read so much about it in the classic Jane Austen novels.

    Now, about those papers and writing. I always loved writing and, yes, you have it so much easier today with computers. The "old fashioned" way of writing, erasing, whiting out, and rewriting was cumbersome but necessary.

    Love you,
    Grandma "C"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the newest Scotland pics-you look great with your friends and also in the mask!
    Your Mom is not the only one who will be jealous...

    ReplyDelete