Sunday, October 30, 2011

Brompton Cemetery: Creepy Cool--Day 60

I had a bit of time to myself this afternoon, so I decided to take a walk to Brompton Cemetery. This Victorian graveyard is situated between Old Brompton Road (to the north) and Fulham Road (to the south) in Kensington and Chelsea (they are officially one borough, if I have not told you yet). I was pretty sure that I could get myself there, so I set off confidently after lunch. I knew that the walk would take me about half an hour, but that didn't stop me from getting a little nervous about 20 minutes into it. I was not familiar with my surroundings, having walked most of the way west along Fulham Road (the main entrance is on Brompton Road). On a whim, I decided to head north along Finborough Road--a street I did not know. I figured that sooner or later I would come to Old Brompton Road, and then I would decide which way to go to get to the cemetery. I checked my trusty London map and guide, which has been such a Godsend during my time here. To my surprise and delight, I found out that Finborough Road comes out at Old Brompton Road right at the corner of the cemetery! I trotted happily along the sidewalk until I came to the gate, then I entered the vast, beautiful cemetery.

I was immediately struck by both the age of the headstones and by the lovely fall colors on the trees. The weather was a bit misty and overcast, and blackbirds and crows were flying and cawing all around me. Needless to say, it was quite a somber and poetic atmosphere, perfect for the day before Halloween. I really enjoyed the mausoleums most. They were all beautifully carved. There is something so captivating about a cemetery in autumn. I snapped a few pictures of this peaceful place, in which I spent about half an hour. The cemetery welcomes visitors each day, including cyclists, runners, and dog owners. It even gives tours of the chapel at the south end. I would love to go back and go on one of the tours because they tell you all about the architecture, Victorian ideas about death, the symbolism of Victorian headstones, and the famous people who are buried in the cemetery.

I really enjoyed spending time at the cemetery. Like I said before, it sounds morbid to "enjoy" a cemetery, but it was so quiet there. It was a great place for reflection. Maybe one of my friends can come with me another time before we leave so we can take the tour together.

The main road with a view of the south side of the cemetery.

One of the more beautiful mausoleums. The interior is empty except for a pedestal. I wonder if it once held the deceased's ashes.

The main entrance at the north end of the cemetery.

Another beautiful mausoleum.

A covered walkway running along one side of the cemetery.

A view from the covered walkway of the other side of the cemetery (and the other covered walkway).

The chapel.

The covered walkway again, this time showing the steps leading down to what I assume is a crypt of some kind. Pretty eerie...

I just loved the color of those leaves!

I thought the yellow ferns and yellow leaves made a nice compliment to each other.
Tomorrow, as you know, is Halloween. How am I going to celebrate, you ask? I'm not a huge fan of dressing up for Halloween. I like to be myself, not someone else. Instead, my friends and I are going to Dr. Kivisto's flat for dinner (I hear it's pizza, but even if it's not, it's a free meal!). I am looking forward to a nice evening to kick off our last full week in London.

3 comments:

  1. What a great way to spend All Hollow's Eve. The pictures are great; I especially like the first of the set.

    How sad to hear you say Halloween Day will begin the last full week of your stay in England. I am certain you have missed feelings about it all. Do enjoy it and make certain you do that last thing you really want to do before the week's end.

    Love you,
    Grandma "C"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops; I should have proofread my post. I actually meant "mixed" feelings!

    Love you,
    Grandma "C"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool but creepy pics, Hannah

    ReplyDelete