Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Comfort of Home--Day Ten (Part 2)

So, the end of the day yesterday was not as interesting as I had hoped. My friends did not get back from the Camden tour until almost 8:30, and they told me it was wonderful. They told me that they were saying, "We have to take Hannah back here!" I'm flattered that they thought of me, but it only makes me wish I had come along (there was a waiting list for those who were unable to sign up the first time, but I didn't put myself on the list because I thought I wouldn't have a shot at getting a spot). They assured me that we would all go back someday, which made me happy because they showed me a lot of cool stuff that they bartered for in the infamous Camden markets. I am looking forward to testing my haggling skills and seeing what kind of deal I can get (I am my mother's daughter, after all). In addition, my friends told me that Camden is not too far from the London Zoo, and I think it would be just delightful to visit! (I'm sure you find this very shocking for a pre-vet student.)

Anyway, we spent the remainder of the evening in a cozy American-style pub called Henry J. Beans. I did not feel like joining my friends in drinking, but we still had a nice time talking and such. The pub is actually pretty hilarious because it has American flags on display, American music playing, American shows on TV, American food on the menu, and a large image of the United States made up of license plates from the 48 contiguous states. It was almost nice to relax in that kind of atmosphere because I almost felt like I was back home in the States. Not that I dislike it here (far from it). It's just that it's taxing sometimes to always be on your guard as a foreigner, and this pub has the completely opposite atmosphere. You can be silly and American and no one stares at you because everyone else understands that as an American-style bar, it's meant to be silly, as if you are having a laugh at yourself as an American. We could all stand to laugh at ourselves from time to time, which is why this pub is particularly refreshing.

After a tiring four days, I'm looking forward to a restful Sunday of grocery shopping and Skyping my parents. My friends want to explore the Thames Festival this evening, but hopefully I can convince them not to stay out too late. We have a busy week ahead, and I don't want to be exhausted. ;)

2 comments:

  1. So much fun! I am happy to hear you have made such nice friends that missed having you along on their tour. The pub sounds fun--good to know of a place to let your guard down and be silly. Hope you have a relaxing Sunday and a great week ahead!

    One of your biggest fans--Auntie Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to find a little haven of Americana where you can feel your Yankee roots! I definitely think you should visit the market and do some haggling; never know what treasures one might find.

    Love you,
    Grandma "C"

    ReplyDelete