Friday, September 9, 2011

The Perfect Prom--Day Eight

Well, gentle readers, we pulled it off! If you didn't know, I became something of a classical music fan last summer as I was flipping through radio stations looking for good music to listen to while I did my exercises. I came upon the station Classical MPR (Minnesota Public Radio), a fabulous station in my opinion. From Classical MPR, I learned about something called the BBC Proms, a summer classical music festival that is hosted in London. Well, ever since last summer, I have wanted to attend a Proms concert, and because of London term, the possibility became more and more real to me. And tonight, my little dream came true! I was in the actual Royal Albert Hall listening to the Philadelphia Orchestra play as part of the actual BBC Proms. I had chills running down my spine as I walked around the gallery of the Royal Albert Hall. The building is quite magnificent and has been around since the Great Exhibition of 1851, which Prince Albert organized as a way to improve the public image of the monarchy (i.e., his wife Queen Victoria). Anyway, the music was beyond amazing, sending more chills through my spine. We heard a Tchaikovsky piano concerto, pieces by Rachmaninov and Ravel, and "Finlandia" by Sibelius. And the best part? The tickets were a mere five pounds. We didn't have a real seat, but that didn't matter. Part of the experience is "promming" or "promenading" around the gallery like they used to do back in the 19th century. My souvenir from the night is my ticket stub, which I am sure I will hold onto for a very long time.

After the Proms, we went to a local restaurant called The Stockpot for a late dinner. I think the staff is Italian because they were saying ,"Ciao!" and "Ti amo." Needless to say, the food was fantastic (I had gnocchi with tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil, a five-star combination if there ever was one). I will definitely return to this wonderful restaurant, especially for the reasonable prices. They have a delicious-sounding traditional English breakfast served everyday from 8 AM to 6 PM. I wish I could bring my parents here because I know that they would appreciate it. Maybe someday I will get to share it with them.

I stayed up very late again chatting with my floormates, which was great. Now, I need to get my rest because tomorrow is our trip to the British Museum, where I will view the Elgin Marbles and the Rosetta stone. Have a good evening!

2 comments:

  1. Oh what a fabulous dream come true! I am so happy for you! The music and food sound fantastic and I too hope some day you can share the experience with your parents, or your Auntie if for so reason they wouldn't want to go-ha!
    Have lots more fun tomorrow and I will be back to read all about it!
    Love you--Auntie Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to attend a concert (or prom) at the Prince Albert Hall and to see Westminster Abby!

    You are certainly maximizing your experiences in jolly ole England. These are memories for a lifetime.

    Love you,
    Grandma "C"

    ReplyDelete