Saturday, September 3, 2011

Thrice as Nice on Day Three

Today was our big tour of the major attractions in London--a sort of appetite-whetter to encourage us to visit Central London in our spare time. We saw many, many things today, so I'll give you a quick list and my impressions of each sight.

Prince Albert Memorial (in Kensington Gardens)--Very impressive and situated in a beautiful location. I really love the Victorian Era. I think that Queen Victoria and her consort are two of history's most fascinating people.
Buckingham Palace--It looks very stately from the outside, but I think I would enjoy it more by taking an actual tour of the inside (it's open to the public in a couple of weeks). The Queen is currently at Balmoral, her Scotland estate, so the Palace sports the Union Jack rather than the ornate Royal flag.
Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey--We came upon these incredible, unforgettably beautiful buildings as we were rounding a bend with the sun just beginning to peak out of the clouds (today was our third day of sunshine--I feel like we're due for some bad weather pretty soon!). The view was nothing less than stunning. Even if I had a picture of what I saw, I'm sure it would not have done the buildings justice.
St. Paul's Cathedral-Another beautiful yet understated site. The architect, Sir Christopher Wren, wanted the building to be more about God and less about the actual structure and architecture. I think he achieved his mission by omitting stained-glass windows, gilding, and painted ceilings in favor of a more muted (though still pretty) style.
The Tower of London--We only drove past this collection of buildings, but I know one thing: I'm definitely going back. The intriguing history is just one draw. I also want to see the Crown Jewels and just tour the grounds.
Tower Bridge--The bridge is a structural wonder, as pretty in pictures as it is in real life.
MI 6--This cream-and-green-glass building is understated for a reason.
The Olympic Stadium site--Preparations are well underway for next summer. The site of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies as well as other Olympic events is near completion, situated near a rundown industrial district of London. Five boroughs are hosting the Games, and I have a feeling that most are badly in need of the financial and economic boost. The surroundings don't look like much, so most of the broadcasts will be filmed from The City (Central London), a much more aesthetically pleasing location. It will be exciting to see the finished product on television and say, "I was there!"

I feel like we traveled all over the city today. My favorite part of today was wandering through the Borough Market in Southwark, open Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. I didn't buy anything, but it was on my must-see list, so I can say I was pleasantly surprised when our wonderful tour guide Sarah informed us that it would be our lunch stop.

It took us forever to return from our trip because of heavy traffic and because of the EDL (English Defense League) demonstration, which required many police officers to keep people in check. Our bus was even stopped temporarily on the side of the road so the police could make sure we didn't have any protesters on board. No need to worry: I was far from the action, if you will. So if you hear about it in the States, you can be assured that I am fine.

I've discovered that the food at Tesco Express, another local supermarket, is much more affordable than it is at Waitrose. Needless to say I've found a new spot for groceries.

I must sadly inform you of the death of my digital camera. I dropped it at the Borough Market. The most I can promise you is some low-quality cell phone pictures (or pictures from the Internet if that fails). I'm just as disappointed as you are. I was really looking forward to taking a lot of great pictures while I was here, although in the scheme of things this really isn't that bad.

Tomorrow is, thankfully, a rest day. I intend to do more extensive grocery shopping and to find the best route to Heythrop College so I know where to go for our second orientation on Monday (and my classes for the rest of the term). I also need to buy a few personal items and get passport-sized photos for my London student ID. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a less hectic day and I can catch my breath before I start my academic work. I'm eager to get a little more structure into my schedule and do some schoolwork. Strange as it may seem, it may calm me down because I won't be running around so much--I'll be reading, writing, and otherwise studying. I might also scope out the Chelsea Library for a quiet, solitary place to study (I'm going to need it pretty soon). Don't be surprised if tomorrow's post isn't very long. I hope nothing too exciting happens. I'm still pretty tired and in need of a break. I love your comments, and if you have any questions you're itching to ask, please include those, too! Goodnight!











1 comment:

  1. Bummers on the camera; I was looking forward to some more wonderful pictures.

    It sounds like you are having many hectic days getting acquainted and settled. Hope when school starts, your routine can become a little less taxing.

    I love you,
    Grandma "C"

    ReplyDelete