Thursday, September 15, 2011

Let's Make a Deal--Day 15

To be honest, today was pretty low-key. I didn't really do much except homework (which I'm glad to have done because it means I can enjoy Oxford tomorrow; more on that later). Well, that and I walked with my roommate to the post office. I suppose that was kind of exciting in itself because I bought a few stamps and got rid of some of that annoying change that seems to multiply all by itself in my coin purse. I feel lighter already!

Now for the interesting part of the day. Marks & Spencer (AKA M&S) has a food section in some of their department stores, and every week from Thursday to Tuesday they have a Dine In for Two for 10 Pounds deal. For a mere 10 pounds, you get an entree, side dish, dessert, and bottle of wine! Although the food must be cooked, it is at least pre-prepared and obviously much better than any deal at a restaurant. My friends and I turned it into a group dinner of sorts, buying two deals for 20 pounds (but only five pounds each). My roommate and I chose rigatoni with vegetables as our main dish, stuffed mushrooms as our side, and lemon souffle as our dessert. I must say that everything was very good! I'm not keen on doing this every single night of the week because what's the point of grocery shopping then and letting the food I buy spoil? But it's still nice to have this alternative to eating out. I also like camaraderie of cooking together and then eating and talking together when all the food is ready. I suppose that's the Italian in me speaking, which reminds me that two of my friends on the trip told me that they are Italian, too, so we have a mini Italian alliance here :).

That was pretty much my day. Not much went on. But tomorrow is Oxford, and I'm really looking forward to a break from the hustle and bustle of London. I want to see the English countryside. Oxford is supposed to be a pretty cool place. I've heard that the university has a botanic garden, which will be really great for my term paper on British gardens. I'm also just generally looking forward to spending the whole day with my friends because I think we kind of miss each other when we are in class and we all can't do things together because we're always missing half of the group. If I haven't already told you, there are no classes on Fridays, so we can organize group trips like this. Get pumped for some majorly awesome pictures tomorrow to make up for the lack of pictures today. I hope you all have a good rest of the evening! Good night. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey. kiddo, you're killing me with all of these wonderful food dishes you are enjoying and, of course, having friends to enjoy them with is the best!

    Am looking forward to your Oxford excursion and some awesome pics.

    Love you,
    Grandma "C" (Aunt Sandy thinks she's your number one fan, but I beg to differ with her. I think we all have that spot taken.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun dinner alternative!
    Anxiously awaiting Oxford pics...
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete