Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Day of Rest--Day Four

What a lovely day it has been! I talked with my parents on Skype for about an hour this afternoon (which was SO nice, and it was SO good to see their faces), then a group of us girls walked to Heythrop College to practice getting to class. It took us a surprisingly long 35 minutes to get there! I'm hoping we'll pick up the pace when it's actually time to go to class, but I intend to leave about an hour early each day just in case trouble arises from traffic or what not. My roommate and I stopped at the pharmacy on the way back from Heythrop so we could buy a functioning hair straightener to share. Then, we all returned home. I am currently cooking dinner for myself (red beans and brown rice with salad). Eating healthfully here will be a lot easier than I thought. I'm feeling much more at ease about getting things done here. If I need to run errands, there are many centrally-located shops like grocery stores, post offices, and pharmacies. Mailboxes are located along the streets, so I don't need to worry about walking far to find a drop-off point for any letters or postcards I might send. ;) If I need to get a quick bite to eat while I'm out, I can stop in an inexpensive sandwich shop or cafe (although I intend to eat mostly homemade sandwiches and fruit for lunch). The rest of the evening should be pretty relaxing. Most of my friends have class tomorrow, but I don't, so I'm probably going to find a good book to read in the common room or maybe even explore the nearby Chelsea Library. We have a second orientation at 1 PM, and there's a play at 7:30 PM. I'm eager to tell you how it is! Real British theater should be exciting. This is the first and only event we attend that we don't need to sign up and pay one pound for. Luckily, I've been stockpiling enough pound coins to allow me to sign up for the next five excursions, including next Friday's daytrip to Oxford (September 16th, not the 9th).

On a different note, today was our first rainy day! It was kind of exciting in a now-it-feels-like-London kind of way. Believe me, I'm not praying for more of it.

Coming soon: more London escapades! Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Sweetheart:

    Will you be able to see Prince Albert Hall? I hope you will be able to see the Queen's jewels and her home. Will you be able to see Westminster Abby and watch the changing of the guards (see if you can get one to smile)?

    I'm working on a "care package" for you.

    Love you,
    Grandma "C"

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are settling in and SO very glad you were able to Skype!
    Anxiously awaiting more news...Auntie Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm working on tickets for the Proms, a series of classical music concerts at the Royal Albert Hall. Tickets are only 5 pounds for a standing spot! What a deal for some incredible music (I LOVE classical!). I'm hoping to see the Tower of London, and I definitely want to tour Buckingham Palace, especially for its gardens, which would make for very interesting material for my term paper. My friend Haley wants to go to the changing of the guards, and I'm sure I'll go to Westminster Abbey, too. So much to do, yet so little time! I better get on this stuff soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete